Over the past 8 weeks, I delved further into my studies in relation to Early Childhood Education. Unfortunately, I was not able to make the best use of learning from other international professionals via email discussion.
On the other hand, I was able to explore several websites which included:
• UNESCO’s “Early Childhood Care and Education” webpage.
• Zero to Three.
• Harvard University’s “Global Children’s Initiative.
• Childhood Poverty Research and Policy Centre.
• World Organization for Early Childhood Education (OMEP).
• National Black Child Development Institute.
• World Forum Radio.
Three things that I learnt from reviewing these websites were:
1. There is a lot of valuable information out there. An early childhood educator should never say that they are unable to perform their duties in an effective manner because of lack of resources. There are a lot of reputable sites that provide documented information backed by research and comments from other professionals in the field. This wealth of information, ideas and data are at one’s fingertips once they have access to a computer and internet access.
2. The world has definitely shrunk in size as nations and governments all struggle with the same problems. We are all human and as children we all have a basic need to be cared for and educated. All countries have to grapple with the task of ensuring that the needs of young children are met effectively. If we all start talking then we could possibly solve our problems that much quicker as we learn from each other.
3. There are so many areas of early childhood education and they are all equally important. Educators need not be overwhelmed but excel in the areas that they are placed and focus on being the best that they can be. We can specialize in one area and draw upon the strengths of others. There is no need to feel overwhelmed by the mass of knowledge that is constantly growing but feel free to speak to others and collaborate.
One goal that I believe is important for the field of early childhood education is for all professionals to be advocates. For the policy makers and administrators to make appropriate decisions, they need to be aware of the needs of the profession. This can only happen if the educators speak out.
Let your voices be heard!!!



Your blogs are always so cool to read. You are right when you say that we have to speak up. It is so important to let others know how important education is. Good Luck
ReplyDeleteThanks DeWana, and all the best to you too.
DeleteHi Sheryl,
ReplyDeleteExcellent post as always! I have delighted in reading your blog these past weeks. They are consistently insightful and engaging--and I am jealous of your clip art!
Best of luck in your future classes and I hope to see you again!
Thanks Julia for the kind thoughts. You can use clip art too :) Best of luck in your future classes.
DeleteI completely agree that we should be advocates. We need to speak up for the educational and welfare needs of children everywhere and not only in our city.
ReplyDelete