The Art of Teaching

"It's not what is poured into a student that counts, but what is planted." Linda Conway

Friday, January 11, 2013

Competent Communication


The person that I chose who demonstrates competent communication is one of the former Prime Ministers (Head of State) of Jamaica.  The Most. Hon. P.J. Patterson, who was the 6th Prime Minister of Jamaica demonstrated competent communication in the field of politics and international diplomacy.  He has been noted as a political leader who has settled differences through a reconciling process rather than through confrontation.   He has had wide experience as a negotiator at a national, regional and international level.   He was very effective in public debates while still reflecting a deliberative, calm, reasonable and thoughtful personality.   When the Hon. P.J. Patterson speaks, he does so slowly and in measured tones but it can be seen that he is very prudent in what he says and he never misses any issues.


When this former Head of State speaks, he demonstrates many functions of communication (O’Hair, D. & Weimann, M., 2012), namely:

·        Ability to influence others – he maintains eye contact and never shouts or berates others, but speaks calmly.

·       Achieving an outcome – competent communication is process-oriented.  The former Prime Minister, through the years, measured the success of his communication by assessing whether his desired outcome was accomplished.  The Hon. P.J. Patterson was always aware of the need to optimize the goals of both parties.  That is why he became Jamaica’s first “three-term” Prime Minister and one of our most successful politicians.

·        Appropriate and effective – when listening to the former Prime Minister, there was never any cause for undue embarrassment as a result of inappropriate outbursts.  Further, he effectively communicated his points whether or not you may have been in agreement with same.

I would want to model some of these communication behaviours demonstrated as they are effective in achieving the desired purpose – relating to people and bringing across one’s point of view.

Reference:

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real Communication: An Introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl- Thank you for sharing this communicator with me. From what you have shared, I believe that the Prime Minister does sound like an effective communicator. I also believe that more individuals should look towards leaders such as the Prime Minister to see how to appropriately communicate effectively. Thank you for sharing, I look forward to reading more of your blog over the next weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl,
    I never realized the Prime Minister of Jamaica was such an effective communicator. Thank you for sharing this knowledge with us. Perhaps, because I tend to shy away from politics unless it involves children. I do appreciate your range of knowledge and look forward to hearing more about it.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete