The Art of Teaching

"It's not what is poured into a student that counts, but what is planted." Linda Conway

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Conflict Resolution


Personally I do not deal with conflicts very well – I adopt the escapist strategy by avoiding direct conflict which unfortunately leaves some issues unresolved.   My option usually leads to the quick resolution of a conflict but my relationships are sometimes scarred and/or strained because of our inability to resolve the root of the problems.

Two strategies that I have learnt this week that might help to manage or resolve conflicts more productively are:

1.    To adopt the approach of a cooperative strategy that seeks a compromise, and benefits the relationships and individual goals of all concerned.   To facilitate the discussion for all parties, I must ensure that the communication climate is a supportive one and offers a chance for honest and considerate communication to explore the issues involved.   The communication would be probing so that each person gets a better understanding of why and how the other person arrived at their decision.
2.    To realize that conflict of itself is not bad; it is the way that we deal with conflict that determines whether there is an on-going negative outcome.  Conflict is a natural and healthy process, necessary for making progress and dealing with injustice.   If we respond to conflicts productively, it will require courage, preparation, knowledge, skills, creativity and coordination on our part as individuals.  We all have important role to play in transforming the conflicts around us, whether as one of the parties involved or as a witness to the conflict.  The outcome is importance whether it is a compromise, a win-win situation, a lose-lose situation, a separation or the allocation of power.




Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects 
revenge, aggression and retaliation. 
The foundation of such a method is love.
Martin Luther King, Jr.



References:


O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real Communication: An Introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

The Centre for Nonviolent Communication.  Retrieved from http://www.cnvc.org/

The Third Side.  http://www.thirdside.org/

2 comments:

  1. Depending on the situation, I also avoid the conflict. There are certain situations where it seems to be almost impossible to be honest when you know that the conflict is inevitable. You are correct in that all conflict is not bad but can become negative depending on how you deal with the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl, I am glad that this class has made you more comfortable with handling conflict. I really do think that some conflict is necessary in a lot of situations so that the best outcome can happen. Although, I understand that sometimes flight is a natural thing, especially when others are less willing to be respectful and caring of my issues and concerns.

    ReplyDelete